Friends

Followers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, November 28, 2011

On Money

Let me get one thing out of the way right now, so that I dont have to delicately dance around it for the duration of writing here. We have enough money, but we dont have alot. We're part of the (rapidly dwindling) middle class. Groceries? A night out in the city? We're not struggling. A twenty thousand dollar party, however...Not only does it seem over the top to me (us) but it also seems a bit...wasteful. Im not trying to slam on anyone that spent alot of money on their wedding day, because its a really personal thing; but for us, not only is that not really manageable, its also not really desirable. We've set our budget hovering around the 10k mark. Which I think is ALOT but at the end of the day I suppose its not. The other issue (if it is one at all? it might be too early to tell) is that my family is enormous. My mother is one of 10, I am one of 23 grandchildren. We're looking at minimum 50 people, and thats going to upset someone. Hopefully we'll be able to inch that up to 75 without too much worry but there are nights when I think to myself that this will never get pulled off.

I've used every budget calculator out there, and Ive got a pretty good idea of how the breakdown goes. Since Im chained to an excel spreadsheet for most of the day at work, I have some 'skillz' I've put to use making 'master workbook' there's the budget, the guest list, a vendor comparison page, and possibly more. If it works out for me, maybe I'll write it into a template and put it up here for a download, that way it will be available to the masses.

On another note, I discovered a mantra I'm going to use:

"Its just a wedding, and if at the end of the day you are married, then you have done it right."

No comments:

Post a Comment